- Ancestrais Capoeira -bring power, speed and awe inspiring techniques in the form of an ancient Brazilian martial arts that combines dance, music and acrobatics – and perform for the first time in Bunbury
- The Bunbury Fijian group’s vigorous war dance includes many members of their community, with the children stealing the heart of the audience.
- Baratha Natyam, the classical dance of South India, performed by Lakshana Arasu to Carnatic classical music
- Sol y Sombra Spanish Dance Company will swirl across the stage giving the audience a taste of Spain through their powerful flamenco.
- Add some spice to your evening with Spice Journey, local Indian food van that has a high rating on Trip Advisor
- Authentic Cocos Malay cuisine combined with modern flavours cooked by the Islamic Association of Bunbury is one of the most popular stalls, trading at the event since the festival’s inception in 2007.
- Chinese Opera singer Isabella Chen’s powerful voice will tackle Chinese folk songs and will be joined on stage by Manea Senior College Dancers bringing to life a taste of China.
- Tastes of the Middle East and the Mediterranean will be prepared lovingly by Vicki’s catering.
- Africa will be showcased through a market stall by Evans Ofori from Ghana.
- Elaborate costumes, the sound of drums and beautiful dancers will highlight the traditions of Sri Lanka to the community.
The Multicultural Night Under the Stars is a spectacular community event that boasts of being one of the largest multicultural events in regional WA. The Bunbury Multicultural Group which hosts the event invites you to ‘Travel the Globe in 3 hours’ and relax under the stars at this multicultural extravaganza.
In its 9th year and growing larger and more vibrant each year, this festival has made a name for itself in the south west region. Why not head down for the weekend and check it out?
Why is Ancestrais Capoeira Number 1?
The Brazilian Capoeira is at Number 1 because of what a highly anticipated performance it is this year. Bunbury has never had a professional Capoeira group attend any local events and we are sure that this performance will be a breathtaking one.
The philosophy behind Capoeira was and still is one that encourages acceptance, interaction, builds confidence, a common understanding and a taking care of or giving back to the community. These Capoeira principles are similar to those of the values of the Bunbury Multicultural Group which promotes multiculturalism, understanding, friendship and promote harmony and respect in our families and community.
The group will travel from Perth to showcase their acrobatic skills in this dance-like martial arts.
What gets the others in?
The others get in because of the variety of performances and local cultural flavour they offer. The South West region is becoming more diverse each year and this festival demonstrates just how many cultural groups call this region home. Local groups showcase their cultures from performances to cuisine to market stalls – This year Indian, Fijian, middle eastern, African, Malay and Japanese are just some of the cultures being showcased at the event.
There’s not many festivals in the West that offer FREE multicultural performances of the high calibre that is presented at the annual Multicultural Night Under the Stars. No regional event offers the wide variety of cultures performing or selling their national cuisine. This is an inclusive, open air event where you can relax under the stars amongst like-minded people.
But wait there’s more… Not even listed in the top 10 are performances of Bollywood and Italian dancing, a combination of Japanese and Didgeridoo musical fusion, and cuisine from Japan, Greece, Italy and Bangladesh… not to mention the other events running over the long weekend of the Bunbury Aquaspectacular.
There’s wheelchair access for those in wheelchairs or with walkers.
Also there’s wheelchair access for those in wheelchairs or with walkers.
Parking is FREE from 5pm. There’s parking close by – either over the road near the water, or in the Entertainment Centre carpark over the road as well as in other areas in the CBD.
Upload your festival photos to Instagram or Facebook and mark #mnbunbury